aug 20

Art Authenticity

Oh good, the login to the CMS I wrote in 2001 still works!

Just a note -- I have been doing a series on Medium about art authenticity in the age of the copy. Here are all the links in one place:

Girl Part 1: This Is Not a Vermeer TM
Can anyone own a masterpiece? Five very dissimilar people share a common desire: To own a Vermeer.

Replicants Part 2: Uber for Art Forgeries
So you want to own a masterpiece? It's easy! In part two in this series about artistic authenticity, we explore how to score that painting you have always wanted.

Fake Part 3: Forgeries Gone Wild!
How widespread is art forgery? Experts say it's wildly rampant. Is it time to reconsider the economy of images?

Procuress Part 4: The End of Authentication
Woo-hoo! You just discovered a Vermeer in your aunts basement. But who will verify if it is real? Maybe no one.

Steal Part 5: The Artist, the Thief, the Forger, and Her Lover
How did the Mona Lisa become famous? The biggest art heist of all time connects the forger and the thief.

4 comments

Whoa, comments still work too! This is like walking into the ruins of an ancient civilization, and there's still running water!

posted by Andy Baio at 5:18 PM on August 20, 2014

I bet this look quite wretched on mobile. It was coded before the iphone existed.

posted by Rex at 6:11 PM on August 20, 2014

I remember when this was the "new" design. I wonder if it's still got the cold fusion url extension, and I wonder if it'll take "Hello" auto-capitalized by my ipad.

posted by Alesh at 6:31 PM on August 20, 2014

Not only that, but the RSS feed works too.

posted by Jeremy at 8:29 AM on August 26, 2014

NOTE: The commenting window has expired for this post.